The Basilica of Santa Maria de la Esperanza Macarena, also known popularly as the Basilica de la Macarena is a catholic temple placed at number 1 Bécquer Street, in the Macarena quarter city of Seville.
The building holds the head office of the Brotherhood of The Esperanza Macarena, which does the atonement station at Dawn of the Holy Friday with the images of Maria Santísima de la Esperanza Macarena and the Sentence of Our Father Jesus.
Its construction was initiated in 1941, when on April 13th, Pedro Segura y Sáenz, archbishop of Seville, blessed the areas in which it was built and placed the first stone of the temple; and it was finished in 1949, being blessed on March 18th by the same archbishop and acting as patrons Queipo de Llano and Serafina Salcedo, and it was dedicated by the cardinal José Maria Bueno Monreal, archbishop of the city, on October 7th, 1966.
The work was carried out by the Seville architect Aurelio Gómez Millán. On the 12th of November of 1966 it obtained the recognition of Basilica dignity granted by Pope Pablo VI, being the first Seville temple to be granted this dignity.
Chapel and dressing room of The Macarena.
The tableau of the high altar is neo barroque style and the Virgin of the Esperanza de la Macarena is located there. The decoration of the dressing room of the virgin was executed by López Morelló.
Chapel camarín de la Sentencia
The first is destined for the cult of The Sentence of Our Father Jesus, an image by Felipe de Morales in 1654. The image is located on an altar built by Pérez Calvo in 1951.
Chapel del Rosario
It is a chapel placed to the right of the high altar where the image of the Virgen del Rosario with the Child Jesus is found. This image goes out of the church on the last Sunday of October, in a multitudinous procession along the streets of the neighbourhood.
Altar of the Hispanic World
The altar of the Hispanic World is the last tableau of the temple. It was blessed in 1959 by the Cardinal Bueno Monreal. This tableau was dedicated to the South American people by the brotherhood to thank them for all the donations received for the construction and beautification of the Basilica. Its design and execution comes from the workshop of Pérez Calvo.
On the altar there is a painting of the Virgin of Guadeloupe (Mexico). The rest of images are: Our Lady of Coromoto (Venezuela); the Virgin of Caacupé (Paraguay); Santa Rosa of Lima (Peru); the Virgin of the Divine Providence (Puerto Rico); Our Lady of Luján (Argentina); the Virgin of Chiquinquirá (Colombia); Virgin of the Quinche (Ecuador); Our Lady of Carmen (Chile) and Our Lady of the Altagracia (Dominican Republic).