The Brotherhood of the Holy Charity, founded in Seville in the middle of the 15th century was given a mandate in 1578:  transfer the destitute to the hospital, attend them spiritually and bury those who were sentenced to death. Also, give aid when floods were caused by the Guadalquivir River.

The interior decoration of the church was planned by Miguel de Mañara and it involved such prestigious artists such as Murillo, Valdés Leal, Pedro Roldán and Bernardo Simon de Pineda.

You can find masterpieces of Valdés Leal the “Finis gloriae mundi” and “In Ictu Oculi” and also “The Triumph of the Holy Cross”.

The above work led to six paintings by Murillo of the “Misericordia”, four of which were stolen in 1810 during the War of Independence, by the French Marshal Soult, who later proudly displayed them at his home in Paris. At his death, the paintings were sold by his heirs, and are now found in foreign museums.

These paintings were replaced at first by four landscapes with biblical scenes by Miguel Luna, who broke the iconographic plan intended by Mañara. Since 2008, they have placed reproductions of original paintings by Murillo on the walls which retain the iconographic meaning of the whole church and Luna’s paintings have been moved to the highest chapters room with four other landscapes of his hand dated 1674.

Opening hours:

Monday to Saturday from  09:00 to 13:00 and then from 15:30 to 19:00.

Holidays from  09:00 to 12:30

Entrance: 5 euros.

Related Projects
hospital de los venerablesLas dueñas seville