The Royal Factory of Tobacco of Seville is a building constructed in stone during the XVIII century as the head office of the first factory of tobacco established in Europe. It constitutes one of the most splendid representations of the industrial architecture of Renaissance-Baroque style, having received the qualification of Cultural Interest in 1959 with Historic monument category. From the middle of the XX century it holds the head office of the presidency of the University of Seville and of some of its faculties
Tobacco was discovered by the Spanish on arrival in America, in 1492. The city of Seville, the head office of the Casa de Contratación (House of Hiring), had the monopoly of the tobacco commerce on the continent and already before the XV century the first plants of this species had arrived in Seville. At the beginning of the XVI century the first tobacco industry began in Seville, the first of all Europe. At first, there were a few factories dispersed inside the city, then for health reasons and also for the state control of the activity the different factories were eventually concentrated on only one location, a site opposite the church of San Pedro. In the XVIII century the construction of the big building was undertaken, outside the city, which later, in the XX century would become the head office of the University of Seville.